Rep:Re: [f-cpu] F-CPU vs. Itanium

-----Message d'origine-----
De: Martin Devera <devik@cdi.cz>
A: f-cpu@seul.org
Date: 22/04/02
Objet: Re: [f-cpu] F-CPU vs. Itanium

> It makes the same problem as a plain C simulator : we already have to
deal with
> a VHDL source tree and there are too few contributors yet. we can't
hire
> anybody, you know : it's all volunteer work. when work is done.

true .. The biggest problem I see: is there any free tool to use
for simulation cpu (or other logic) in VHDL ? If not it too hard
to write one ?
I ask because when I developed first version of advanced packet
scheduler
I did it in userspace - I was able to quickly evaluate speed and has
been
forced to rethink/rewrite whole agorithm three times (the complexity
analyse is almost impossible there) - it saved a lot of time - then
I implemented it once in kernel space (which is a bit harder/slower).
I was thinking about emulator where all ideas can be quickly evaluated
million times before you start coding actual logic.
And if there would be single tool used by all participants I think that
some ideas could be tested very fast.

>>> That's where goes the big design. They called that architecture
exploration. Industry try to introduice many tools to create a flow from
the spec to the GDS II files.
System C are design to do such research. The idea is to "refine" your
design with VHDL like concept. BUT you could begin dirty C++ if you
want. That's where you could save time.

> slow if we can't access full-custom technologies (like Intel and IBM
do).
> Beyond, another strategy must be used.

I'm not experianced here, what is difference between ASIC and full
custom ? ASIC can use only predefined blocks ?

>>> ASIC are a generic name. Most (99%) of the design use semi-custom
design. In fact, the design is an interconnection of soon defined cells
(AND/OR gate, register,...). Most of the time they define memory bloc,
too. But this kind of block have 2 ports, very few times more.

>>> So you need full custom design where you could design you're one
memory block. But it's far more expensive for a compagny to do it. Most
of the time only foundries do it (IBM, ST, TSMC,...).

>>> The third kind of ASIC called 'precaractérisé' in french are a kind
of FPGA, only the 2 or 4 last metal layer are define by the designer.
That's the chipest technology.

> > university did it but they have working 3 ported 32x31 register set
> > operating at 16GHz with only 20W of thermal loss.
> "only" ?...

hmm not too low abs. number ;) But they computed 16GHz in cmos would
have
much more .. Also they claim that with higher integration this number
will decrease and in cmos it increases ..

>>> ??? 20 W for a register bank is hudge ! In 400 Mhz only 7W is needed
for the whole mutiplier unit (0.18 µm).
nicO

devik