Re: [f-cpu] Winograd DCT on my seul.org account

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Marco Al wrote:
>Juergen Goeritz wrote:
>
>> What one would need is a language with a very good
>> type checking like in Ada, Pascal, Modula a.s.o, a
>> language that can do easy prototyping and reuse of
>> coded parts like Forth, a language disallowing the
>> side-effect programming styles, a language that can
>> handle OO approaches and a language that is capable
>> of parallel execution pathes.
>
>How about Occam? ;)

I know occam from the time I looked at transputers. The
language didn't really turn me on. Everything felt too
complicated. Maybe that was one thing why the transputer
never made its way to a real hit (beside being much too
expensive).

>As far as type-checking/encapsulation/concurrency goes it seems to
>qualify, and functions are ensured to be side-effect free at least  (I
>think that hits the sweet spot, imperative programming is here to stay).

Yes, and you also find this in a lot of other languages...

>It obviously lacks some basic features, foremost handling reference's
>and OO ... but an implementation for zero-aliasing references was
>introduced not so long ago, and and some interesting proposals for OO
>extensions have been made by others (the distance between message
>passing and prototype based OO is not long).

Have these proposals made the way to implementation yet?
Is there a PD compiler to start with?

BTW I spent years on message passing and I don't share
your opinion about that 'not long' distance to OO.

JG