Re: Rep:Re: [f-cpu] The last killing argument FOR the GPL licence

hello,

Michael wrote :
> Oh no, not THAT discussion again :-(
Did you think it was over ?

Nicolas Boulay wrote:
> What the opinion of others ?
I have discussed a bit with Michael and i think that we agree
on certain points. However i will not close the debate easily.
Other's voice is welcome but code writers are legally the ones
who can "decide" : this is another reason why i urge others to
write code.

> GPL are really well written by lawyer, and it will be hard to be
> carefull of many different legal point ina new licence.

GPL was written for computer software (code that is executed
by a computer) and does not fit the needs of a

> Before writing something, it could be nice to have a list of feature not
> present inside the GPL.

GPL allows or forbids things that i and Michael don't agree on.
However, we will reuse the principle of "Copyleft" and keep the
major points.

then Ben wrote :
> how about:
> "This software attempts to do bla-bla-bla.
> It is known to run on ya-ya-ya typically compiled with yap-yap-yap.
> You are free to use this software except where you make large sums
> of money and then the author wants his cut! We are not responsible
> for the users stupidity and expect this product to used with common
> sense and respected. Any copywrites are good until 5 years after
> the computer hardware (ya-ya-ya) has stopped being manufactured or the
> OS or hardware has been revised 3 times.Any damage done buy the product
> is limited to 1 band-ade."

:-)

some points however :
 * "Any copywrites are good until 5 years after
 the computer hardware (ya-ya-ya) has stopped being manufactured or the
 OS or hardware has been revised 3 times." This is not acceptable, even
 though it could be reasonable. All copyright (and copyleft) remains
 70 after the author's death (or something else, i don't remember).
 After that, it becomes public domain. So all our code remains protected
 and our will is obeyed during that time. no need to limit that to
 another arbitrary duration.
 * We don't do F-CPU for the royalties.
 * " We are not responsible for the users stupidity and expect this
   product to used with common sense and respected."
  ==> i think i'll keep that one untouched :-)

read you soon,

WHYGEE