Re: [f-cpu] Running long things (was: Re: Yet Another Upload)

hi !

there is some scripting work in perspective ....

Yedidyah Bar-David wrote:

Hello,

I am a lurker on this list for some years now. I have no knowledge in
circuit design, VHDL, etc., but I do read some of the posts and I even
understand some of them ...

I am a sysadmin in cs.tau, and am in charge of a few tens of machines.
Some of them are not too loaded.

If it's possible for me to download and install free software and then
run it on some of the f-cpu files and report results, I will be happy
to do that.

it could also be used to testbench the software, so we'd need the description of the machines
(if you go further). today's computer have big differences and can show a 10x runtime difference
with the same software ....

Concerning the installation of Free Software, you can read the VHDL_HOWTO that
is available in the F-CPU source tarball. you will have to read the chapters about
Simili and Vanilla, and if you are successful, try to install GHDL.

It will be even better if such runs can be split to small parts, since
most of the machines dual-boot between Linux and Windows (and I do not
intend to use them while they are running Windows).

small parts ?
i don't know what this means in this context.
Some tests last 10 seconds, but Michael's tests are usually extremely long with Vanilla
(which itself is already slow software).

thank you for your help,

Didi

YG