Re: [f-cpu] F-CPU SoC

Hi Yann,

On 04/01/2015 02:02 PM, whygee@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Le 2015-04-01 12:48, Nikolay Dimitrov a Ãcrit :
Gang,
yo ! :-D

It quite possible that we'll have all kinds of technical
discussions about different approaches towards the F-CPU design and
implementation.
well, no surprise here, it's this way since 1998 :-D

I don't mind such creative process at all, actually really appreciate it.

I think it would definitely help if we put some more context into
these discussions, as a single aspect of the CPU ISA can both be
advantage and disadvantage in different contexts.
That's why I start F-GPU :-) I should write a draft...

So I'm proposing for the following - let's think about how a
F-CPU-based SoC should look like.
The trick is : it will look like what is needed in each specific
case. There will be no "one true" F-CPU SoC, but adaptations of a
generic model...

Almost. It would be great if the ISA stays the same as much as possible,
but the ISA implementations and their surrounding are adapted to suit
better the intended application. As usual, this is imho and everyone is
welcome to not agree with me and propose a better solution :D.

I'm totally convinced that a single design won't be able to answer
 all needs, so probably the most logical approach is to define
several different SoC types and then discuss each F-CPU feature and
how it can fits into each specific context.
So more or less it's about creating a catalogue of blocks and units
that work along/with the CPU. Users will pick the ones they need...
Users would even want to chose the units and configure them with an
interactive graphic tool, no ? :-)

In addition to the SoC topic - I personally think that a CPU design
is less and less important only by itself,
I agree. The tools are critical. in F-CPU, the tools are not just
critical, but they must also be free.

I have some extra-pervert ideas for the tooling, but need some more time
before giving actual proposal :D.

and there are tons of other blocks that need to orchestrate
perfectly with the CPU in order to achieve a usable performance out
of the system. So would be great if we consider touching the SoC
topic sooner than later.
I agree, so let's move on to the F-GPU implementation.

Yep, F-GPU can be an excellent base for one of the SoC type definitions.

Regards, Nikolay
YG

Regards,
Nikolay