Re: [f-cpu] F-CPU SoC

 I would say that single core is niche market today except on IoT side
 where u/nW power consumption is needed.
There are still countless applications that work well with a single CPU core :-)

There are, but usually at very low end. I would love to get processors that would be 2x faster than anything existing today, as FPGA compilations for example easily take 10+h and do not parallelize that well on some stages. And a server with hybrid memory cubes, that would be something.... (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_Memory_Cube). And HMC is not vaporware, there are products out there using it. DDR4 is the last of its line, there is no real way to increase the bus speed with that parallel synchronous bus paradigm.

Paralellism will appear when we'll have one core working.
Then we'll fill the FPGA with new instances :-P

At least the locking primitives and atomic operations need to be there in the instruction set to make this possible. Just read rants of Linus from linux-kernel list ;)

>  I've heard there are several "tile" CPUs out there.
 The modern NPU architectures are multicore ARM arrays with some
 accelerators and very fast internal communication networks. You are
 thinking the previous generation where they had a lot of special
 tricks. Datacenter vs. gNPU differences are actually quite small.
but do you imagine F-CPU as a NPU tile ?
We can't reasonably access all the resources needed to build an array...
unless you let us play with your toys, but then, nobody else would
be able to reuse our work, so what's the point ?

The point I was trying to make is the fabric, when it works well you can build many things out from the cores.

> >   as network processing is also quite hot topic ;)
>  how many degrees today ? :-D
 Intel (Axxia aquisition and rumors of Altera aquisition), Cavium,
 Broadcom, Ezchip (NPS/Tilera), Freescale (LS), Marvell and few others
yep, these names ring a bell ;-)

 all competing with super high performance multicore SoCs... pretty hot ;)
and who's your favorite ?

Sorry, cannot tell, and most of the really hot ones are under NDA still, I chose the list carefully ;)

--Kim