[f-cpu] change of mailing list policy ?

hi !

Roger Dingledine wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 06:04:08PM -0500, Hiten Sonpal wrote:
> > There's got to be some way to configure it so that bounces / warning go
> > only the list admin? I remember this back when I used to set up lists a
> > few lifetimes ago. :-)

i got bounce messages too, on and off list. i got messages in my mailbox with the subject :
"BOUNCE f-cpu@seul.org: global taboo header: /^subject:.*Warning: could not send message for past\b/i"

(curious, i've never read that kind of error  messages before).
then :
   ----- The following addresses had transient non-fatal errors -----
<tony@platon.lib.cult.cu>

<tony@platon.lib.cult.cu>... Deferred: Connection refused by platon.lib.cult.cu.
Warning: message still undelivered after 4 hours
Will keep trying until message is 5 days old

---> gasp ! if the computer is not turned on before, we'll have another
burst of error messages.

> There certainly is. That's why this is the first one you've seen.
>
> The problem is that this guy's mailer isn't following the rules.

what is this country : .cu ? cuba ?

> I generally set restrict_post to filter out the spam and things like
> the above message. But whygee wanted to leave the list open to posts
> from non-subscribed addresses during the transition. Perhaps now it's
> time to close it.

i think that for me it is going to be ok,
but let's not do it before everyone agrees.
Some people might have "delicate" mail configurations.

in the meantime, let's try to see if we can unsub this tony
before his mailer strikes back.

> --Roger
WHYGEE