Re: [f-cpu] More Instruction Set Trouble

Michael Riepe wrote:
> Oh, you're from Duesseldorf? ;)

No Canada:-)

> > Having used computers with a whopping 16kw in the 1980's I still think in terms
> > of small systems. It is just things seem to grow and grow. Take a web browser -
> > mozilla - while I expect large data space for buffers and displays, why does
> > seem the program it self is larger than the linux kernel and X-windows and
> > longer to write?
>
> I remember wordstar on a 16k CP/M machine, too.
The 16K machine was very old Main-frame computer. I did use a cp/m machine for a
while but it had problem with the 8 inch floppies. They stuck and you had to rap
the case to get them to work. Rap too hard and the machine would reset do to
loose connection.

> Good point -- if this weren't "late 60's FORTRAN coding style".
> Modern programmers don't allocate huge arrays (with static bounds)
> at compile time, they use pointers and run-time memory allocation.

Only with the advent of the pentium has home/small business people have had
access to large memory. Large memory may be cheep but it is very slow.
Ben.

--
Standard Disclaimer : 97% speculation 2% bad grammar 1% facts.
"Pre-historic Cpu's" http://www.jetnet.ab.ca/users/bfranchuk