Re: [f-cpu] [Fwd: [ff] f-cpu et savannah]

Hi

> > > Every who want to be part of the project should apply (?) to savannah
> > > and then mail Philippe.
> >
> > I consider myself being part of the project already.  If I'm not, then
> > something went wrong.  But I don't know who Philippe is -- is *he*
> > part of the project?
> >
> > Can we please *stop* moving from one server to another?  I'm tired of
> > that.
> I second that.

First, I have to present me a bit.
I'm a french computer science student, I study processor architecture.
I try to understand this project, where you are and where you go.

My main problem was to gather all f-cpu information. It isn't very easy.
My second problem was, who works on what ?
who makes the architecture, the design, ..... !!! who takes decision ???
It's the reason of my proposition to use savannah and his task manager.
I think that this project need a bit of managing.

> >  What we really need is *one* central site which has basically
> > everything, *one* mailing list, and no WWW clicky-clacky GUI, please
> You mean seul.org?

> That means that all the web sites should be moved, the cvs repository
> should be moved either and the french and german mailing-list should be
> closed. It also means that there might be a single point of failure
> which frightened whygee (that's not surprising after the yahoo
> problems)

well, yes and not !!!
We could mrigrate slowly to savannah. For example, we could start to use
The task manager and the news part and patch and support.

> Last but not the least, it spoils the wonderful job that andreas has done
> on the CVS setup.

I think that we should keep it (at least in a first step).

As I said up, I think that we (this project) need to managed more.
Some people works on everything, some people works on nothing.

I have worked on another project (v2os) and it was clear that many
people
want (or need) to be led.

If I take my example, I'm an architect and I don't know VHDL.
I would like to learn (VHDL), but to work on f-cpu I need help.
I can try to write a body but not found entity.
You see what I mean ?

As I have proposed it on the french ML (forwarded by yg), I propose:
- to split this big project on sub-project
 * architecture (and simulator)
 * design
 * compiler
 * system (port linux to f-cpu processor)

to anwser yg's question, manuel are part of each sub-project.
architecture group make the architecture manual, and so on ...

- to put a leader (manager) to each sub-project. This isn't a boss but a
manager. His job would be to gather information (who works on what, last
manual, ..).
I said it again, It woun't be a boss, we are in an open source project
but
wasting time isn't nice and necessary.
For example:
architecture leader -> yg
design leader -> mikael
compiler leader -> nic0
system leader -> dunno

savannah is nice because it's easy to change admin. If I don't mistake,
you have
lost one (or more) web site with the lost of the owner. I'll put another
admin in
savannah. I think that savannah could make us publicity too.

Of course, it's a proposition .....
If you think that it's a bad idea, just tell me and I'll throw it away.
But if you think that it's a good idea and that we must use it, I
propose
to manage savannah.

philippe

PS: sorry for my english, I'm a little frenchy :(