Rep:Re: Rep:Re: [f-cpu] TLB right + resume

-----Message d'origine-----
De: Michael Riepe <michael@stud.uni-hannover.de>
A: f-cpu@seul.org
Date: 20/08/02
Objet: Re: Rep:Re: [f-cpu] TLB right + resume

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 09:11:59AM +0000, Nicolas Boulay wrote:
[...]
> Beleiving that the hardware will do all the job for you is a dream of
> progammer, but not a reality ! HW+SW are design to realise a task, the
> faster, the cheeper, the more flexible way they can. The RICS
adventure
> said to use more the SW and speed up dumb thing in the HW and do the
> clever thing in SW.

Since we're building a processor for general use, we must provide a
reasonable amount of functionality. Paging and fine-grained page level
protection *is* reasonable, IMHO.

[...]
> 1- give kernel page to kernel function call to access kernel page from
> user process.
> 2- execute user code in kernel mode
> 3- execute librairy call to execute excve with /bin/sh to have a shell
> access.

That's a SW problem.

>>> A compiler problem, so an abi problem. The last security problem in
case of buffer overflow.

> 4- diseable any possiblity of buffer overflow.

Dto.

>>> ??? don't understand that word.

> 5- Protect part of the kernel (driver) from it-self

That's what you need fine-grained access rights for.

>>> Do you think it's wise to protect the kernel from it-self ?

>>> What you think about the idea of tagged page that could only be used
by tagged read&write instructions (to protect data page of the kernel
and return stack write) ?
nicO