Re: [f-cpu] Too much option

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 10:10:06PM +0200, Cedric BAIL wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I am currently working on a new release of the manual with the new color
> code for ISA and an OP_CODE map. I discover that we have 2048 possibles
> versions of the F-CPU, because we have a lot of optionals instructions.
> All the immediate form are optional, mix/expand/sdup are optional too. For me
> they must be include in all F-CPU compatible chip and we must reduce the number
> of possible version of F-CPU chip. I agree that LNS and FPU must be optional,
> but for increment based operation I think it's really too much usefull to be
> optional.
>    What did you think about this problem ?

I guess mix/expand/sdup and the increment based ops can be made mandatory.

>    I update shift instructions too and I discover that they have 2 unused bits.
> Why not using them to say :
>   00 => double shift right
>   01 => shift right
>   10 => shift left
>   11 => double shift left
>
> The problem will be with immediate, in that case we can use 2 operandes one for
> normal shift the other for dshift. (rot instructions have 2 unused bits too, so
> we can use them in the same way). It can save a lot of OP_CODE. (I quickly
> count them, and we have approximatively 100 different OP_CODE).

It may also work if their immediate counterparts use 6-bit constants
(instead of 8-bit ones).

>   For the next release I want to insert widen instructions, but I read in a
> precedent mail that michael didn't like the way he describe it or something
> like that. Is it possible to have a little description on them ?

That's still undecided. It will probably become something like

	widen[s].[bdq] r2, r1

with semantics equivalent to the C cast operations

	r1 = (signed/unsigned char)r2	//  8 bit (.b)
	r1 = (signed/unsigned short)r2	// 16 bit (.d)
	r1 = (signed/unsigned int)r2	// 32 bit (.q)

where the destination size is always 64 bits.