Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 14:11:04 +0100 (CET)
From: devik <devik@cdi.cz>
To: Martin Vahi <martinv@physic.ut.ee>
Subject: Re: [f-cpu] dynamic code reuse

<snip>

I have the same opinion as Martin Vahi that compiler good enough
to spot places where to place such insn should be able to such
code transformations (like exception aware GCSE) which would
render such insn almost unuseful.

my own opinion is : if an algorithm is flawed or inefficient,
it's silly to throw HW at it, or we all end up with "naughty hacks".

if there is a "cache" for past results, then the whole program should
be reorganised to manage this itself, at least, so it's more efficient
and less intrusive to the rest of the computer system. It's a source code-level
issue, not compiler-level nor architectural level. If you ask a computer
to do something silly, don't count on it to do what you "mean"
or the result might be worse.

gotta sleep,

devik

YG