Re: [f-cpu] register set

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Bruno Bougard wrote:
> Yann Guidon wrote:
>
> > hello,
> >
> > the register set is almost finished. I still have to make
> > an exhaustive testbench and add the zero detector.
> > I have based the design on transparent latches,
> > they ensure that the cells are not too large and slow.
>
> Ouille ! Please don't do that ! latches are almost not-testable. For FF,
> you have scan-test.

It's harder to add failsafe approaches later when the storage
parts have to keep their contence for quite a while and may
not be clocked again during storage.

> > It's almost completely asynchronous :
>
> Ouille 2 : to be avoided as much as possible.
>
> > reading is just
> > combinational (the address is driven by the fetcher's
> > output register) while writing is driven by the scheduler
> > queue's output. the write command of each cell is given
> > by the address decoder ANDed with the write mask,
> > so writing is allowed when the mask is enabled and the
> > data remain when the mask goes low. There are certainly
> > some setup&hold conditions to ensure but it looks interesting.
> >
> > Now i'm seeking real implementations and VHDL "wrappers"
> > of such a bank. I have looked a bit at the latest LEON sources
> > but they look too messy for me...
>
> Generally, optimized register-bank is provided by the technology vendor.
> I work currently with UMC and I have a RAM/register-bank compiler. This
> one generate behavioral description for the simulation and a 'blackbox'
> for the final layout.
> If you want to see how to implement such a structure efficiently, check
> e.g WESTE, ESHRAGHAN, Principles of CMOS VLSI design, Addison Wesley.
> This is also a good book to learn design.

I can remember that they want to stay independent of technology
vendor libraries and structure compilers that are not freely
available.

> Also, for what you want to do, a SRAM instance should be more efficient,
> notably regarding power consumption

Usually you can't read and write in the same clock. You may
be forced to use multiport SRAM.

JG