Re: [f-cpu] F-CPU invited at the Libre Software Meeting

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 12:47:31AM +0100, Yann Guidon wrote:
[...]
> I have the feeling that GCC will make really slow programs.

Yep. Just compare gcc with Intel's compilers for Linux on i386.
Then add the fact that gcc is unable to exploit parallelism, and
you'll get the idea...

> while the superpipeline can reach a somewhat higher frequency,
> an inadequate compiler makes the system work really slow.
> i fear that this constatation can be used as an argument
> against the project.

The same argument can be used against a lot of CPUs.  E.g. an
UltraSPARC-III really dies in benchmarks when the compiler isn't
optimizing well (the only usable one seems to be Suns Forte 6
Update 2).

> PS: anybody knows whether he comes to the LSM ?

Depends on time, money and the way I feel.