Re: [f-cpu] Verification, Testing, And Random Numbers

[heck, it bounced again :(]

Hi F-gang,

Pierre Tardy wrote:
On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 17:18:30 +0100
Michael Riepe <michael+fcpu@stud.uni-hannover.de> wrote:

But in general, there is no "golden" code. There is only another implementation of the same problem that may or may not be correct. You have no way to verify that, unless you use one of the methods outlined above. In that case, you can as well verify your circuit directly.

If you have a difference between the result of the two models, you know that there is a problem, then you can study step by step the behavior of the suspected implementation, reacting to this particular stimulation.
So this is not totally unusefull, it can be used to detacted cases that you have not thought about.
That's the way I have been "debugging" my designs: processing units and
testbenches use different approaches to obtain the result, and if
there's a difference, at least one of them must be wrong. In that case,
I examined both of them more closely, and I usually found an error in
one of them. But it's not a 100% reliable way to verify a design.

Michael.