Re: [f-cpu] F-CPU gcc CVS

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 09:44:05PM +0100, devik wrote:
> > > I setup CVS server for gcc/config/fcpu subdirectory
> > > of gcc. The current trunk head can compile majority
> > > of code and can finally correctly generate
> > > loadaddr vs. loadaddrd.
> >
> > Yes, but it takes an awful lot of time and memory for that.  I guess we
> > need to find a cheaper way.
>
> There IS such way - go over all insns and pair NOTE_LABELs.
> But because we will need at least prefetches then complete
> DF will be needed anyway.
> It now take 50% of time but .... we have other problems than
> speed of compiler.

My main problem is that it takes so much memory that I can't compile some
large source files any longer (e.g. fctools/emu/emu.c).  More than half of
the memory consumed is used by the DF, even with moderate optimization
(-O -fomit-frame-pointer) or no optimization at all.  IMHO, the DF phase
should not run when -O isn't specified, and maybe only with -O2 or higher.