Re: [f-cpu] Free synthesis tool for Verilog and other links

hello,

Just an Illusion wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have yet tested this tools (on this version, if well remember), but it
> seems have too many limitations on supported verilog subset.
>
> It's why we have decided (in my company) to do not use it.
>
> For information the Alliance project from the lip6 laboratory (from
> university of Jussieu in France) have a free synthesize tool with a
> capability of vhdl keeping. But the rtl vhdl subset is too limited to
> support a "real" industrial model.
>
> http://www-asim.lip6.fr/alliance/

if needed, i still have the v4.5 files.
The VHDL is useless. However, there could be a possibility to import
EDIF so Leonardo or similar could help us use Alliance ...
But even then, we would need access to a funder's cell library
and i'm not sure Alliance would accept their formats.
And even though the provided "portable" cell library works,
the characterization was done in simulation IIRC, and in .35u only.
So you understand that we're not done soon...

> If we want use this type of tools (on the project), we need well
> identified the input restrictions on the language, and code with it.

As of today, the *minimal* support is that of Vanilla VHDL. It's not
"open source" but it's an "abandonware" that works under Linux, the
main advantage is that it is small. OTOH it's slow and only supports
a few VHDL'93 constructs, but it's already enough and far more interesting
than Alliance, Electric or FreeHDL...

> Cheers,
> Just an Illusion
>
> Michael Opdenacker wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >As I told some of you last week in the LSM event, a free synthesis tool
> >exists for Verilog (unfortunately not for VHDL):
> >
> >http://icarus.com/eda/verilog/

As far as i can read, it's only a compiler/elaborator/simulator,
it does not seem to provide synthesis.

> >Here is also a nice page full of useful links, for those who may not
> >know it:
> >
> >http://www.eedesign.com/resources/opensourcelinks.html
hmmm the links looks like i've been there before :-)

> >Good luck for your great project!
luck, and courage too :-)

> >       @:-)
> >
> >       Cheers,