Re: [f-cpu] SUN server : hacking in progress

From: "Yann Guidon" <>
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2001 4:48 PM
Subject: Re: [f-cpu] SUN server : hacking in progress

> hi again !
>
> once again, i'm "blessed" with a collection of replies.
> i hope i won't say silly stuff.
>
> Carlos De Urresti Hannoh wrote:
> > From: "Yann Guidon" <>
> > > * I have an old Pentium 100 on an AT motherboard, but that's
> > > a bit weak for what we need.
> > The web would be on a p100 with 48 RAM .. is this world full of p100? :)
> dunno :-)
> but that's better than nothing, and it is a very well known platform,
> all the kernel patches are tested for a long time ;-)

Web is ready to go, I'm currently working on OpenSSL with IMAP..

> > > it's a very curious situation :-/
> > > however, i hope that with other similar propositions,
> > > we can build something.
> > Yep and as Ben said:
> > +------------------ WARNING ---------------------------+
> > | The F-CPU Server may be slow but that is all we have |
> > +------------------------------------------------------+
> > It's better to start with something little than hanging until the heavy
> > machinery comes into reality.
>
> OTOH i have got a proposition for a SPARC, the only problem :
> bandwidth quota of 4MB/day. that's only enough for the regression tests.

Could more bandwith apply for a fee?

enjoy the plane ;)

From: "Lionel-Wolf-Eric Bouchpan-Lerust-Juery" <>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 15:22:37 +0800

> > that's either that, or we try our hardest to make an old
> > server work again...

>I know someone who has a small business and who
>sells used Sun Hardware, I bought ywing ( SS20
>4 HyperSPARCs @ 125Mhz ) from him. He is OK and
>as it is a legal business things are fine.

>You can access his webpage there :
>http://www.solutions-rl.fr/cadre.htm

>If you want, as I have already done business with him
>I can contact him after my Xams ~ June the 11th.
Maybe we could start exploring the posibilities with him, i could contribute
with 200-300 US handling them at HAL for a possible sun.

> I do see 2 months as a little period of time to work out HAL, is there
> anything
> that i can start to work with, right now? (or we.. the ones that are
willing
> to help the pre-hal).
> >

>Yes, this is going to be an important milestone in
>the life of the F-CPU project.

> > > I'd suggest leaving Solaris since it works,
> Avoid as a plague at old machines ;>
> Even a Sparc 10 with 196 MB RAM runs kinda slowly with Solaris 2.6
> > "leave" it ? there is no HDD inside the CPU box,
> > and the 2 HDD ("storage") boxes work with difficulty,
> > the university tried to install BSD so i presume that
> > any previous OS is flushed.
> they knew about the plague :p
> >
>Yes, they are actually slow but when we will switch
>to a faster machine we will alraeady have the working
>knowledge of Sun's computer and OS. If we start with
>an x86 based solution when this solution wouldn't
>do the jobwe will have to learn to work with a
>different hardware / OS combination and as you know
>things rarely go by the book thus we may loose a lot
>of time at that time.

Oki.. I'm a little confused ;) You say Solaris and YG Gnu/Linux :>

> > > install them like RPM.
> pkg_add -device filename ;)
> > > Jeff Davies
>Yes, and it's easier with Solaris 8: you go to
>sunfreeware, then you just type java package and it
>works.

> > It seems the CPUs are HyperSPARC CPUs ( sun4m )
> >
> They could be SuperSPARC or HyperSPARC (MP670 had both)
> >
>As this is a Ross module it is HyperSPARC.
oki.
Orage
Lionel, trollhunter
Bouchpan-Lerust-Juery
trollhunter@linuxfr.org
boucli27@altavista.net
http://infonomade.linuxfr.org/wearables/doc/Wearable-HOWTO/en/Wearable-HOWTO.html
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/SPARC-HOWTO.html
06 68 99 65 89

Machen Sie Ihr Hobby zu Geld bei unserem Partner 1&1!
http://profiseller.de/info/index.php3?ac=OM.PS.PS003K00596T0409a

http://www.gmx.net