Re: [f-cpu] Status quo

Hi Yann,

> No BCD there either, it's pure binary again.
whatever.
please name ?

well, let me explain: The last 15 years we programmed a large java application for an advertising company. Our programms have to plan advertising campaigns and the distribution of budgets. Budgets in size up to 1.500.000.000,-- â

Because our programm was strictly forbidden to have any rounding differences, our main datatype was java.lang.BigDecimal. To avoid any side effects from the database, we even stored the values as strings.

I already told you, I'm a programmer, not a cpu designer. So I just thought I might be handy, if the cpu could calculate decimal values directly. You're right: Of course it's possible to do all that decimal stuff with standard integer arithmetic. 100% agree.

But I couldn't imagine, that a decimal arithmetic unit would be that complicated. It's just from my point of view as a programmer...

Ralf