[f-cpu] Re: Welcome (late threads)

From: "Yann Guidon" <>
Sent: Friday, May 04, 2001 5:05 PM
Subject: Re: [f-cpu] meeting in Paris this evening

> hi !
>
> The discussions about the server(s) are going on on both french
> and english mailing lists (curiously, the german one is mute...).
> i wish there was no langage barreer...
How will the language barrer will be applied in the near future when we
start to
take priority changes on the project or know that we already moved to
seul.org?
(Will we apply the different languages lists again?)

In my point of view keeping those localized versions could help people that
are not
capable to express their ideas in a well written english form (i include
myself ;>)
to put in the project their thoughts and maybe someone could help them to
translate,
etc .. (of course this shouldn't THE rule, and everyone would be encoraged
to write at
the english list.)

> Carlos De Urresti Hannoh wrote:
> > > hello everybody,
> > > Phase 0 will be to find a location, a network, a legal and official
> > > arrangement for the costs (electricity, climatisation...), putting
> > This might help a little bit :) I work on the first IDC (Internet Data
> > Center) in LatinAmerica. Giving a brief resume of the capabilities out
of it are:
> > (pretty fancy) Area of the Site: More than 7,000 km^2.
> hmmm i think you mean : "7,000 m^2." :-)

Sorry ;)
wonder... what if i had write euro km ;)

> > Aprox 1.2 Gbit :) uplink without the emergency link. (And we can buy
only
> > the needed bandwith since if we choose here it most be at the
collocation
> > area).
> > 6 Electric Generators (Each one backing up all the site) + normal elect.
> > climatisation = less than 20 C (brrrrrr :>) just don't walk up the holes
> > were the air runs under -5 C :/
> > etc etc
> ok ok ok :-)

=)

> however, if we use Celaro hardware, we'll have to check if the exportation
> is allowed to Mexico. The patent struggle with Quickturn makes selling
Celaros
> to US impossible. i'll ask the people at Meta Systems.

oki. i'll start a local research.

> People that know guys from Synopsys, Cadence, Axis, Ikos or Quickturn
> can already ask if they're ready to collaborate/sponsor the project.
>
> > > a decent SUN (Solaris) (or a HP-UX) server that can do the
compilation,
> > > the account management, the job queue...
> > First off: I'm a Solaris user :> but situations make you change.
> > This company is 85% Telmex(Huge Monopolic Telco) and 15% HP so we might
get
> > a good price over a new HP machine if we sign the arrangement.
> > The good hint about this is that all the parts that would fail or broke
> > would be replaced by me:) and I can be pretty alert over the equipments;
of
> > course if the equipment is new we get all the warranties : ) and this a
cron if we
> > buy refurbished machines :/ we couldn't apply for them and in the long
term
> > this could hit us really bad :/
> >
> > If you want me to start looking for prices just pass me down a line.
>
> if you can ask the prices for a "decent" SUN (min 1G RAM and 20G HDD),
> then just go ahead, it will be helpful in any case.

Regarding this information i'm posting what i got (yg mentioned that the sun
option is
almost out of our field, specialy when only a little group of people are
willing to raise
funds for this project. Maybe in the futurue.

As we know, USiii still hasn't been market to the servers field.. so the
only way to go is
a blade 1000.. vs ultra 80 is only a little bit more effort .. and time
prices will be at
our side.

I requested an aprox bill for blade 1000 , USiii 900, 18.2 GB, 1 GB module
and i got this..
sighs.. at least those help us to give us a brief idea of the reality..
*which we might
already known ;/ * all prices are US dollars ;> besides the even wanted to
charge for the
English only OS media at 125! and 50 more for the other localized versions..
When we can get it for free at sun.com ;) iso download and the localized
versions also..
anyway.. they told that they could rearrange the prices when I pick one of
their packages.. but after denaying to buy them the media, monitor, and their
crazy setup
onsite fee(300).. i guess no progress could be done with them.. or not a
higher rate as
getting all those free items from them..

blade 1000 (USiii 750, 512 MB, 18.2GB) - 10,995 (we can have 2 cpus)
512 MB upgrade (4*128MB) - 2,530 (i told them .. i'll expand.. sure.. with
the 8 slots
ocuppied..)
video connector adapter hd-15 - 39
subtotal: 13,564
Standard Warranty (1 year): 396
pseudototal: 13,960

ultra 80 (USii 450, 1 GB, 18.2GB) - 12,095
Standard Warranty (1 year): 1,008
pseudototal: 13,103

I wrote and maybe flooded with this..so trying to keep out some un-needed
info
should i post the usiii 900 prices.. or only keep them at my dreams? ;)

neutral organization will be the main problem.

> > From: boucli27 at altavista dot net
> > Subject: Re: [f-cpu] Which machine to use
> > > The problem with the *Blade series is that first you pay
> > > a premium price, second they are still not reliable :
> > > a lot of them are DOA ( dead on arrival ), thus I think
> > > it should be wyser to stick to 'old' USII based servers.
> > Blade are doing fine now; no more than a week for delivery
> wow :-)
>
> > > I think we may have a premium class server for ~$15.000 --> $20.000
thus
> > > we will have to launch a subscribtion
> > > in order to get one of theses babies.
> > >
> > > I think I will be able to find $1.000 for this project.
> > > Who's next ?
> > May I? :)
> yeah :-) [i can't, unfortunately]
>
> who is in charge of collecting the funds ?

For a starting point we could relay over paypal and someone with an account
in a US bank since wire transfer's fee are so high and even higer to send
them
as a money order. And then redirect from there.

> I think that before we do everything, we have to :
>  - make a press release on slashdot, usenet etc...

I agree.. maybe the workshop in HAL will also make this explote. ;)

>  - wait for new contribution proposals (so we can spread the workload)
>  - ask for price lists and call for sponsors

Looking for sponsors, explaining later on.