Re: [f-cpu] spec draft about booting F-CPU

On Sun, 13 Oct 2002 16:49:48 +0100
Yann Guidon <whygee@f-cpu.org> wrote:

> hi,
>
> cedric wrote:
rdwired SR.

> > I mean they will be really slow and not easy to
> >access from a kernel because it didn't exist on other architecture so it need
> >a special work.
> >

> now imagine the mess if it is mapped in memory...

I imagine it very well. All computer/microcontrolor/DSP work like that !

If cpu are design to use only one single bus (from the outside world) it's to add what ever you want peripheral. For sparc, there is an "SR" to change memory map so the tlb is accessed like that.

A serial interface as nothing to do inside the cpu. It's a very slow thing, can't be remapped by an os, can't directly be accessed by user application.

And most of all, why complicated a so simple thing that a rs232 peripheral ? You could even download it from opencores.com.

Christophe could explain more about such thing, but from my point of view it's unusefull, and complicate things for nothing.

nicO