Re: [f-cpu] Re: Project short description

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 09:22:36AM +0200, Juergen Goeritz wrote:
[...]
> > If you make a SoC that includes an F-CPU core, the source code for the
> > entire chip must be released under the terms of the GPL because it's a
> > derived work.  If you can live with that restriction...
>
> No, I can't. I was wondering if it could be changed to the
> more open LGPL license style like with LEON. Is this possible?

We had that discussion (again!) some weeks ago...
For the moment, my answer is "no".

> On the other hand, if it's not possible to change to LGPL,
> I would not want to invest my own money but only go for it
> when there is enough funding money and goods. Up to now my
> opinion was that you can't really live from open projects.
> But you are invited to proove the opposite...

We have to prove nothing, since we never claimed to be able to make
money with the F-CPU.  On the other hand, switching to LGPL won't make
us rich and famous, either.  I agree that commercial F-CPU users might
benefit from LGPL, but my primary goal never was to enable companies to
make lots of money, without having to return *anything*.

> > > I like f-cpu because it is extendable to higher bitwidth
> > > later on and seems to be designed for low gate count.
> >
> > *giggle* didn't you see the multiplier?
>
> :-) multipliers always come with high gate count...

Not always -- but *fast* multipliers do, of course ;)

> > > So what's the basic feeling of you people involved in
> > > f-cpu design and simulation to include f-cpu into a
> > > system? I am interested in your views very much.
> >
> > Do you want only the design for your project, or the design team as well?
>
> Good question. If I had a team it would be much easier
> to get it done. On the other hand I don't have enough
> money to set it up just for fun. I want to build a team
> at Karlsruhe or Baden-Baden (Germany) to focus on my
> mCluster project. But the people inside this team would
> be free to work on f-cpu as well since it may be a part
> of the whole project. Other companies and universities
> are interested and will be invited to participate as well.

Interested in the mCluster project, or in F-CPU development?