Re: [f-cpu] Re: Project short description

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 07:54:06PM -0400, nicO wrote:
[...]
> > We have to prove nothing, since we never claimed to be able to make
> > money with the F-CPU.  On the other hand, switching to LGPL won't make
> > us rich and famous, either.  I agree that commercial F-CPU users might
> > benefit from LGPL, but my primary goal never was to enable companies to
> > make lots of money, without having to return *anything*.
>
> I agree ! But Juergen should not forget that lgpl code said you could
> NOT modify the sources without redistribut it.

No, you can modify and use (L)GPL code as much as you like, without
redistributing it.  You only have to redistribute the source *together
with the resulting binaries*.  If you never distribute the binaries
(i.e. use them only internally), you need not publish your changes at all.
The (L)GPL only specifies rules for modification and redistribution,
not for *using* a piece of GPLed code.  Quoting from the GPL:

	Activities other than copying, distribution and modification are
	not covered by this License; they are outside its scope.  The act
	of running the Program is not restricted, and the output from the
	Program is covered only if its contents constitute a work based
	on the Program (independent of having been made by running the
	Program).  Whether that is true depends on what the Program does.

Disclaimer: I'm not a shark^H^H^H^H^Hlawyer.