Re: [f-cpu] Re: Project short description

Juergen Goeritz a écrit :

> On Wed, 5 Sep 2001, Michael Riepe wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 07:58:15PM -0400, nicO wrote:
> > > Juergen Goeritz a écrit :
> > [...]
> > >
> > > ??????????? We soon give you (and to the world) a quite complete cpu
> > > with really fast unit and a pretty good ISA, and you say that there
> > > isn't any return ! That's the goal of the GPL, i give my work to the
> > > world and nobody could steal my work but other could help me.
>
> If you give it for free nobody could steal it. Agreed!
> But do they also value it when it's for free?
>
> > <plug in electric guitar>
> > <play F-major>
> > <sing>
> >       A-
> > <play C-major>
> >       -men!
> > </sing>
> > <improvise lead-out>
>
> Just have a base quitar and a djembe. Sounds strange but that
> may be related to the voice part.
>
> > Our source code is freely available; that's already much more than anybody
> > can expect, IMHO.  I don't mind if somebody doesn't want to show his/her
> > code, but then (s)he shouldn't ask for more.
> >
> > But I guess Juergen meant "money" when he wrote "return"...
>
> Sure. The central problem stays 'how to make a living by doing
> the things one likes' ;-)

Personnaly i could see it when you want to create a product but a piece
of it is to big for you or you didn't want to spend to much money for
it. Your 'added value' aren't this part but the whole system. So you
decide to use the GPL to be help to design this none-so-important part
(from money back point of view). But then you use it to develop and sell
your product. As IBM : devellop Linux to sell even more computers.

nicO