Re: [f-cpu] License issues GPL/LGPL and Juergen's SoC

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 04:54:45PM +0200, Juergen Goeritz wrote:
[...]
> I am interested in the development of a pipeline floating point
> instruction set. Development for F-CPU is only interesting for
> me if I can use the F-CPU with my mCluster design.

You won't contribute anything unless it helps your project?
Is that what you mean?

[...]
> I was thinking of setting up a company to handle industrial
> interest in the F-CPU - to work as coordination and contact.
> This company could handle e.g. coordination of development,
> licensing of established versions for industrial use, collect
> donations, promote F-CPU, produce chips for public use, etc.
> The shares of this company would belong to F-CPU participants
> who want entitlement into this company because of their work
> done for F-CPU.

Before we can coordinate, license, promote, produce or sell the F-CPU,
we must *build* it, or at least finish the design and verify it.  At
the moment, there is nothing to do for a company.

[...]
> Michael, I am not somebody having only a lot of money and knowing
> nothing about the contence/development. I have built a small
> start-up company with a good product idea (that's what I think)
> and could participate into this 'AG idea' personally but can't
> finance it completely by myself. I don't want to take control
> over the F-CPU development. I simply had that idea of using it
> in my design (and get it working for space use). That's all.
> Of course I could also use some partners.

I work on the F-CPU for fun, and I want it to stay that way.

You want to make money with your mCluster design -- I don't mind,
but you should be aware that you can't count on me.  I already have a
project to work on, and I want to finish it before I start another one.
Talking about business and making money is IMHO fruitless, as long as
the F-CPU is a `soap bubble' in our minds.  Please let it become real
first.  After that, we can talk about everything else.

> > On the other hand, it may be already too late.  I'm not willing to make
> > any deals with people I don't trust -- and I can't trust people who are
> > unable (or unwilling) to come to the point and say what they mean.
>
> I didn't meet you yet, can't say anything about trust.
> But maybe you know me already and use some email alias?

Definitely not.

[...]
> The story behind why I was complaining about GPL use in
> the F-CPU project is that I believe that it is not really
> covering your work. GPL was designed as software license.
> It should be adapted to cover hardware development first.
> See some explanations in other mails.

Juergen, you contradict yourself.  On one hand, you claim that the
GPL does not cover (and thus protect) the F-CPU and that it should be
replaced, on the other hand you proposed a license that offers even *less*
protection but allows you to use the F-CPU in your proprietary design.