Re : (FC-Devel) Further OCD comments regarding CVS

Hi everybody,

I can understand the OCD as an OO layer on top of CVS. All configuration
management tools I know have been designed to store flat files. This leads
to the well know conflict between traditionnal programming with languages
like C and OO programming.

I don't know what you have experienced with OO configuration management but
as PVCS user, I can say that the tool is not accurate. The problems rise
when it comes to handling different versions of a class for different
functionalities or even different software.

With OO programming, the central abstraction is the class and its interface.
 Systems are assemblied with a subset of available classes. It think that
the proper configuration management tool (repository) should be organized
around the central concept. It keeps track of the state of a class for
different purposes (functionalities) and should be able to keep track of
what has been built with each version. More difficulties come when you have
to correct your software after the delivery.

I think we should not redesign CVS but design a layer able to handle OO
concepts on top a configuration management tool.

Sami BEN GRINE
FreeCASE project coordinator