(FC-Devel) Argo/UML and FreeCase

Sami:

I can't speak for Jason, so I am copying him on this message. My
understanding of the project is that it is under a BSD like lic., so Jason
can do consulting later using Argo. Companies would come to him, because the
press generated by Argo/UML. He would accepted as a UML - Case guru.  I
think this has already occurred to some extent, because he has been talk
with Peter Coad, if I remember correctly.

I think that UCI just want no one tries to take credit for the work without
recognizing them. If it is indeed like BSD all that would be required is a
credit in the software. This seem acceptable to me. It actually nicer for
companies and consultants than GPL or LGPL. I can create plug-in that don't
give out the source and sell them.

This is where I think FC CORBA funcationality would be really nice. As an
example, I use Visual Basic, I may want to give the XSL for code generation
away under some OS lic. I can then sell a custom version of Argo/UML with
reverse engining CORBA or COM components that are complied. I have a product
I can sell, it support open source and if the Argo/UML group thinks I have
violated some agreement, they can just create a OS clone of my component and
I will have to compete with it in the market place.

Jason, did I get this correct?

P.S. Yes, I did mention that I'd like see both COM and CORBA supported. It
looked like we have no choice, but to except we will have two object models.
What we really need is an open source project that is a "glue" API. I think
it should be either a facade pattern to present on object model no matter
what the standard is.

Later,

Jeff