Re: (FC-Devel) Status of Development

On  2 Feb, Alexander V.Didytch wrote:
> Lindsay.Marshall@newcastle.ac.uk wrote:
>
>> We are not going to get
>> *anywhere* until we have some code. You can plan all you like but
>> nothing will come of it except more and more planning. We need
>> something that people can kick the tyres on *NOW* not in a couple of
>> months. As I keep saying the planning is fine and admirable and all
>> that - and I am all for it, but we need code and we need it now.
>
> My question is simple -- *WHY* ?
> Just to make another deathmarch ? :(

Why? Because you wont get anywhere that's why. You'll get bogged down
in arguments about the right way to do things - just liked happened the
last time when the discussions became more and more esoteric by the day.

Currently if we just had a tool that let us draw UML diagrams and store
them somehow I suspect many people would be happy. Repositories and all
that stuff are fine but while it's talk it's no use to anyone.

The bottom line is that it is very hard to get an OSS project of the
ground without some actual software. It doesn't matter how dreadful this
software is - that will soon get fixed - what matters is that there is
something there for people to play with and tear down. There are
several projects around the Net flounderting around in just the same
fashion - all of them worthy targets but all lacking a solid foundation.

I hope I dont get to say "I told you so" in a few weeks, but I am pretty
sure I will.

L.