[w.formann@netsurf213.neuss.netsurf.de: Re: (FC-Devel) Is the project still alive??? [EXPIRED TRIAL LICENCE]]

----- Forwarded message from owner-freecase-devel@seul.org -----

Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 01:03:45 +0200
From: Wolfgang Formann <w.formann@netsurf213.neuss.netsurf.de>
To: freecase-devel@seul.org
Subject: Re: (FC-Devel) Is the project still alive??? [EXPIRED TRIAL LICENCE]

Jacques Bergeron wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> > After we have a decent repository I'm hoping that we can persuade other
> > opensource projects to support it eg. by starting argo with a switch.  The
> > repository only covers the semantics of UML and says nothing about the
> > representation of the diagrams.  Argo use a W3 standard called called PGML
> but
> > this has been superceded by SVG which has very little support in argo at
> the
> > moment.
>
> OK so what I understand is that you want to concentrate on a central
> repository. Excellent idea and a good complement to other projects which
> will naturally concetrate on the UI (more visible)!
>
> I took a look this morning at the UML user guide and reference manuals by
> the 3 amigos (Booch, Jacobson and Rumbaugh) and what they seem to be getting
> at is that the notion of package should be the base for storage, access and
> configuration control:

Please! Ignore the Amigos! If you want to create an UML tool, then go to
OMG
and read their standard! There are too many differences between the
books of
those Amigos and the OMG definitions. Otherwise, if you want to write an
Amigo-Tool, go on and continue :-(

Sorry to say so, but UML is (part of) my job :-(

> "Packages are primarely intended as access and and configuration control
> mechanism to permit developers, in large work groups, to organize large
> models and evolve them without getting in each other's way".

Not the package itself is used to organize models, it is the package
with
the stereotype <<subsystem>>. Small difference in notation, big
difference
in usability!

> Regards,
>
> Jacques