Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2000 21:31:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ninghui Li <ninghui@cs.nyu.edu>
To: dmolnar@hcs.harvard.edu
Subject: Re: tractable DL paper (fwd)

David,

The attached file is the paper to appear in Oakland conference.
I also got your email asking about implementation of DL.  I am very
sorry for this very late reply.  I was completely buried with paper
writing and implementing new version of DL the last couple of months.

The main feature of DL's delegation is integer and infinite
delegation-depth and complex principal structures as delegatees.
Many applications do not need all this expressive power; a somewhat
limited version should suffice.

You mentioned a project to build an Eternity service and said that you
were trying to formulate policies about questions like "will I trust
server X to store my file F for time T ?" and "is this request to do
operation O on file F a good request?"  I would like to hear more about
your project.  Such queries can be easily formulated in DL or other Logic
Programming languages.  The more important issue is what kind of
information is going to be used in making this decision and how to
represent and reason with this information.

I have an implementation of Delegation Logic that is written in XSB,
a Prolog variant developed at SUNY - Stony Brook.  I've also experimented
with a Interprolog, a Java-XSB interface program.  I don't know whether
a Prolog implementation is acceptable to your project.

Ninghui