[freehaven-dev] Apr 10, 4pm: On the Economics of Anonymity

Date:    Thursday, April 10, 2003
Time:    4:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Place:   NE43-516, 200 Tech Square, MIT
Speaker: Roger Dingledine
Title:   On the Economics of Anonymity

Abstract:

Decentralized anonymity infrastructures are still not in wide use today.
While there are technical barriers to a secure robust design, our
lack of understanding of the incentives to participate in such systems
remains a major roadblock. Here we explore some reasons why anonymity
systems are particularly hard to deploy, enumerate the incentives to
participate either as senders or also as nodes, and build a general model
to describe the effects of these incentives. We then describe and justify
some simplifying assumptions to make the model manageable, and compare
optimal strategies for participants based on a variety of scenarios.

http://freehaven.net/doc/fc03/econymics.pdf

The talk content will depend on audience interest (and how many people
disagree with the basic premise ;) -- we can keep it high-level or delve
into the model a bit.

Hosted by the Applied Security Reading Group
http://pdos.lcs.mit.edu/asrg/

--Roger