Re: [freehaven-dev] Re: [Freenet-chat] MojoNation

On Wed, Aug 09, 2000 at 07:06:27PM -0400, Joseph Sokol-Margolis wrote:
> my memory about early freehaven talks was that we thought using some
> sort of electronic/digital cash/currency system would be neat, and
> generally solve a bunch of the problems we were worried about.
>
> However, we weren't at all satisfied with the existing
> electronic/digital cash/currency systems, so came up with the the
> model freehaven uses. (trade disk space). if this mojo stuff is a
> reasonable implentation of an electronic/digital cash/currency system,
> then it's a reasonable win...
>
> seph

mojonation works because they have some centralized servers which manage
transactions and accounts. a good distributed (decentralized) anonymous
electronic cash would indeed be useful, and as far as i know there still
isn't one available.

their goals are not anonymity; rather, they want to be a ubiquitous
efficient distributed file distribution system which focuses on document
availability. of course, they need some amount of privacy in order to
achieve this goal -- otherwise they'll get shut down and that's not so
good for availability.
but "strong" anonymity is not in their architecture.

--roger