Re: [freehaven-dev] how to retrieve fragments?

On Fri, Jan 28, 2000 at 11:47:18AM -0500, Joseph Sokol-Margolis wrote:
> > However, we've lost the ability to do a fine-tuned (per-fragment) query.
>
> any reason each fragment can't have it's own identifier as well? be it
> a sequenced number, a random number, a hash or the fragment, or
> whatever?
>
> seph

Good idea.

This allows us to do queries for 'any fragment', as well as for specific
ones. Do we want to send out the 20 requests, each for a different
index number, or do we want to allow 'any fragment' requests? The
problem I see with the latter is that almost all queries would be of
that form, and I think only people 'checking up on data' would use
the per fragment request protocol.
So the solution is to not specify which protocol people should use for
requests or for checking. So some of them will behave one way, some
another, and a servnet node can't (for instance) respond to verifiers
but deny service to clients.

Thanks.

--Roger