Re: [freehaven-dev] how to retrieve fragments?

Roger Dingledine <arma@MIT.EDU> writes:
> But there's another issue: if we throw away the SK that we used to
> sign the fragments after we generate them, then a lost fragment is
> lost forever. There is no way to 'regenerate' fragments that have
> been lost.

Sure there is.  Call for all the fragments.  Note that only 12/20 come
back in.  Use some 10 of them to recreate the document.  Now throw it
back into the service, with 20 entirely new fragments, and let the one
that's down to 12 expire.  Yes, this will break a bunch of people's
links to the old file, but given the latency already in the system, I
don't think that's a big problem.

-Brian