Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 10:25:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: William Rowden <rowdenw@eskimo.com>
To: Lance M. Cottrell <loki@anonymizer.com>,
     "[iso-8859-1] Ulf Möller" <ulf@fitug.de>,
     Johannes Kroeger <hanne@squirrel.owl.de>,
     David Molnar <dmolnar@hcs.harvard.edu>,
     Peter Palfrader <palfrader@writeme.com>

Subject: Present Mixmaster.

I am sending you this email because of your interest in Mixmaster.
The recipients are the authors of the protocol (Lance and Ulf),
maintainer of the software (Johannes), and other interested parties
(David and Peter).  If you don't want to be involved in further
discussion, I'll remove your name from future "To:" lists.  If you
know of someone else who is interested, let me know that as well.

I wanted to tell you that I have put a (*slightly* edited) version
of the Mixmaster protocol, versions 2 (in current use) and 3
(proposed), on my Web site:

http://www.eskimo.com/~rowdenw/crypt/Mix/draft-moeller-v2-01.txt
http://www.eskimo.com/~rowdenw/crypt/Mix/draft-moeller-v3-01.txt

(I removed the RFC language for now--to be added later--and
shortened the name so the URL wouldn't wrap.)

Regarding interested parties, I imagine that the following fora
would be appropriate for discussion of Mixmaster version 3 (and
would have an interest in particular aspects of the protocol):

	1.  sci.crypt (cipher security and protocol design)
	2.  mix-l mailing list (programming)
	3.  remailer-operators mailing list (usability)
	4.  cypherpunk mailing list (political implications)
	5.  IETF (standardization)

Obviously, the interests of these groups overlap (e.g., given the
history of cypherpunks, they would obviously also be interested in
some of the same issues as the first three groups).  I'd add the
coderpunks as well, but they haven't let me in their mailing list
yet. (Do I need a security clearance?  :-])

My qualification for initiating discussion is "interest."  Since the
combined expertise of the groups listed above far exceeds my own, I
hope to solicit comments from each of them.  I imagine the best way
to do that would be to break out pieces of the protocol and ask
specific questions about each piece.

That is all assumes I continue to have time.  AFAICS, I will, but
this is a hobby for me, after all.  (Perhaps the Significant Other
of my dreams will again walk into my life.  Maybe an Internet
startup will hire me as a cryptographic intern.  Who knows?)
Assistance is therefore welcome.
--
    -William
PGP key: http://www.eskimo.com/~rowdenw/pgp/rowdenw.asc until 2000-08-01