Re: [freehaven-dev] Got China questions?

On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 07:53:39PM -0500, maxentropy3 wrote:
> Hi all.  I'm meeting with Lin Hai tomorrow, who was involved in his own
> horrorstory over Chinese Internet law last year (check google or just the
> dfn site).  Guy works in computers and is interested in Red Rover.  If
> anyone has any questions they'd like me to ask him--techie stuff I wouldn't
> think of, e.g.--please email me before 2:30 tomorrow at nlogn@iname.com
>
> Alan

* Does China block hotmail, google, geocities, akamai, etc? Does he think
  they will? Even if we start doing organized content distribution
  over them?

* Is there much monitoring of internal networks? That is, is most of the
  traffic monitoring happening on the China border, or do they watch
  the inside too?

* I heard that China sends you through SSL proxies, so you don't actually
  get a private encrypted connection when you exit China. (That is,
  there's an official and public "man in the middle" attack.) Can he
  confirm this? If users actually do get a secure connection, is it 40
  bit or 128 bit?

--Roger