Re: [freehaven-dev] retrieval issues

On Sat, Mar 24, 2001 at 08:39:48PM -0500, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> A further point: none of the other systems out there solve the introducer
> problem either. One of the toughest parts of using gnutella these days
> is getting yourself inserted in a group of live nodes. From a practical
> standpoint, it's tough to find an active list of currently-connected
> machines. And those lists are generally good targets for adversaries.
>
> Freenet solves it by having a few IP addresses listed on its webpage
> (they are the freenet nodes which joined most recently). What would
> happen if I started to flood that list with bogus IPs?

Actually, Freenet doesn't view this as a solution but rather a temporary
hack.  And the submitted IPs *are* checked to ensure that they are at
least running a Freenet node.

In the 0.4 release of Freenet, it will only be necessary to obtain the
address of one node in order to become fully introduced to the network,
using the new node announcement protocol.

--

# tavin cole
# doing my part to complete the works of shakespeare