Re: [freehaven-dev] info hiding conference

http://nymip.sourceforge.net/cvs/general/zks-desiderata.html#toc84

|Decentralized Payment For Service
|
|It should be possible for relays to collect payment from clients without
|using any centralized collection service, and without keeping per-client
|records of services rendered. Furthermore, providers of services other
|than relaying, such as CAs, should be able to collect reasonable payment
|for their services.
|
|Payment for relaying services should be collected in increments small
|enough that nonperformance on any increment by either party will not
|grossly burden the other.
|
|Motivation
|
|A centralized payment system is both a single point of failure and a
|serious traffic analysis liability, and billing records can be seriously
|damaging to forward secrecy.
|
|This section basically requires digital-cash-based micropayments at the
|time of service. There doesn't seem to be another way to satisfy it. What
|sort of micropayment system to use is uncertain.

I am dubious that we can solve this problem in a week or two. :)

Did you have in mind just a survey of the issues involved and a couple of
'this won't work because of this' examples?

It seems to me that if you want remailer operators to be 'paid' as
incentive to continue being an operator, then you're going to need
to use digital money with 'real value'. Does that necessarily imply an
infrastructure for turning that 'real value' into dollars, or can we come
up with some alternative (local) currency that is sufficiently useful?

--Roger