Re: gEDA-user: Symbol analog/npn-2.sym wrong

Hi Carl --

> In het gEDA distribution (12-2007) I found a analog/npn-2.sym. When I
> tried to use it in pcb, it didn't work, because the pinnumber
> attributes are not numeric (I guess). Maybe there are more symbols with
> problems.

Traditionally, gEDA/gschem symbols have been provided on a caveat
emptor basis.  They were simply collected from folks who had created
them and donated them to the project.  Many were checked, some were
not.  Those that were checked were checked based upon different
criteria....

> A thorough review would be nice, and I want to try to help if needed.

If you want to review the symbols and submit patches for all broken
ones, that would be splendid!

> Is the risk of breaking existing schematics bigger then the problems
> that arise in new schematics that use the broken symbols?

Good question.

> Question: the site gedasymbols.org contains symbols that are different
> from the one in the (mac fink) distribution. What is the relation
> between them?

Do not make the mistake that gEDA is a single monolithic application
with a single set of official symbols.  Rather, gEDA is a community
based around a set of software applications.  Many members of the
community have taken the time to draw symbols and then share them with
others.  Sharing takes place in many places, including gedasymbols.org.
There may or may not be a relation between symbols found on
gedasymbols and those found elsewhere.  The symbols people share are
of varying quality or applicability to your purpose.  But you can
always use them as a starting point for your work.....

If you accept this organic vision of what gEDA is about, then you can
do a lot of powerful things with the software, and you will be happy!
If you want a carefully administered software suite with
pre-established symbols and footprints all meeting exacting standards,
then you may be disappointed.

> It would be nice to have one (well maintained) location
> for the symbols.

Are you volunteering to pay for and host the machine, check the
symbol submissions, and administer the symbol collection on a daily
basis?    ;-)

I apologize if I sound snide.  I don't mean to.  My point is
that gEDA is a loose organism of active volunteers sharing their
stuff, not a tightly administered corporation providing tools to
passive users.

Stuart