Re: gEDA-user: Converting RS274D to RS274X

On Sun, 2008-04-13 at 13:54 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> A list lurker, speaking up as I run EMC2 on a tabletop mill here.
>
> This seems like a neat idea Jesse, but can gerbv show 3D?  RS-274-D, from
> NIST, as interpreted by late versions of EMC2, can describe 9 different
> axis's & gerbv would seem to be at most a 2D display, possibly with tightly
> spaced overlays that can be laid on or peeled off.

Hi Gene

The Gerber format was a subset of the real RS-274D standard and I've
never seen any Z axis data in a gerber file.  gerbv can't show 3D
images.

> I'm currently setup to do 4 axis's, with the 4th being a "rotate the work
> surface" using the X axis as the axle to turn on, although I can lay the
> rotary table down and use it to present the end of the workpiece to the
> cutter tool too.
>
> I'd be interested in seeing such a 3+D display, although my well aged mind
> cannot well grasp how it might be done, let alone suggest how to do it.

That "well aged mind" has contributed much to my meager wisdom as I try
to design a circuit assembly robot, see you on the EMC list.

Regards

__
Ormund