Re: gEDA-user: Windows version of gerbv

Thanks for the response.

At 12:06 PM 4/22/2008, you wrote:
> > I tried installing the current version of gerbv under Win2K SP4.  It
> > installed ok and started.  But when I tried opening a Gerber file it
> > crashed.  It also crashed when I opened an XYRS file.  Is there
> > something else I need to do?
>
>What did it say when it crashed?  And what version of windows are you
>using?

It gave...

---------------------------
Gerber Viewer2.0.1: : gerbv.exe - Application Error
---------------------------
The instruction at "0x6b067700" referenced memory at "0x00000000".
The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program
---------------------------
OK   Cancel
---------------------------

I am running the most recent version which I had just downloaded, 2.0.1.

>Note that the Windows version is experimental, and is not well
>tested....

Yes, I have noted that... ;^)

> > I also can't find any info on the specs for the XYRS file.  That is
> > what I am trying to do, verify that my XYRS file is correct, but I
> > don't find anything like a standard for this.
>
>There is no standard for the pick-place file.  Each machine vendor has
>its own file format.  Fortunately, most formats are just ASCII CSV
>with X, Y, rotation and side info recorded in a human readible
>format.  Gerbv tries to guess what your pick/place file looks like,
>but it is not omniscient.

Yes, I am learning that XYRS is not in any way a standard.  Are there
any conventions for how to interpret the data?  Where is the 0,0
point assumed?  What is the 0 degree reference?  Which *way* does the
rotation go, CW or CCW?  I guess you can get the 0,0 reference from
the Gerbers, but how does the assembly house translate this to the
board?  I assume that again, there is no standard.

>You can always use a spreadsheet program to reorder and manipulate
>your XYRS file if need be.
>
> > My assembly house is telling me that my XYRS file has the rotations
> > backwards, but it seems to me that the reference is arbitrary.
>
>Interesting.....   What sense do they use to define rotations?  CW or
>CCW?

I'm going over there now to discuss this with them.  It resulted in
my pretty, pretty prototypes being mangled by hand unsoldering and
resoldering...  :^(

I'm off!  I'll let you know what I find.