Re: gEDA-user: Part specification

> On Sun, Aug 08, 2004 at 08:59:30AM -0400, Stuart Brorson wrote:
> > Here's a suggestion:  Create a "description" attribute, and use
> > gattrib to enter it multiple times.
>
> I have a Makefile that generates -g bom2 or -g bom I don't remember
> and then processes it by a C program to get a part list:
> http://ronja.twibright.com/schematics/twister.components
>
> Will it work with "description" attribute too?

Yes.  Both bom and bom2 use a file called "attribs" which holds a
single line list of the attribs you want to list out in order.  Just
add "description" to the list.  Then it will work.  I just checked
this, so I am sure!  Here's the attribs file:

[root@localhost gEDA_Test]# less attribs
refdes device footprint description

and here's a session log where I create output.net and then list it:

[root@localhost gEDA_Test]# gnetlist -g bom test.sch
gEDA/gnetlist version 20040111
gEDA/gnetlist comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; see COPYING for more
details.
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under
certain
conditions; please see the COPYING file for more details.

[root@localhost gEDA_Test]# less output.net
package refdes  device  footprint       description
R4      R4      RESISTOR        0603    Single_Resistor
C47     C47     CAPACITOR       0805    SingleCap

As for your C program, I can't tell you what it will do.

> Is it possible to
> tell gnetlist that "description" attribute should be used and where
> "description" is not present, "device" should be used instead?

Why don't you experiment for a while?!?  :-)

Stuart