Re: gEDA-user: weird names in PCB part library

On Aug 20, 2004, at 11:04 AM, Dave McGuire wrote:
If I had my druthers, we'd deprecate that entire M4 symbol library, and
move to the file based library. Eventually, we'd kill the M4 library
altogether.

Any benefit of using an M4 script to generate symbols can be
replicated using Perl or Python. M4 should be banashed.
Parameterized footprint generation is a macro processing task. M4 is a macro processor. Perl is a scripting language.

Regardless of your personal dislike for M4, it is the correct tool for the job (far more so than a scripting language like Perl, or even a *good* scripting language like Python), and it works quite well. The problem here is one of maintenance, not of implementation.
(Blargh...I didn't intend for that to sound as snotty as it did; I haven't had any caffeine yet today.. -Dave)

--
Dave McGuire "...it's a matter of how tightly
Cape Coral, FL you pull the zip-tie." -Nadine Miller