Re: Soldering irons [was Re: gEDA-user: Free Dog meetings at MIT starting this September!]

On Aug 23, 2004, at 9:49 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:
Not sure who you're asking here,
Where else am I going to find a collection of people who hand solder
SMT parts on short notice?  ;-)
Well, I meant who *specifically* here. This is indeed a good place to ask. ;)

but I strongly recommend Metcal irons for SMT work.
Any particular features I should be looking for?  There seem to be a
lot of options for tip heat management.
Any of the Metcal "SmartHeat" irons (mine is an SP-200) will do the right thing, in my opinion. Their higher-end systems have some bells & whistles, but when it comes right down to it, good temperature control, tip plating, and handpiece comfort are what really matters.

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire "...it's a matter of how tightly
Cape Coral, FL you pull the zip-tie." -Nadine Miller