Re: gEDA-user: 2 make errors installing gwave

This was a response to your assertion that kjwaves works "out of the
box" with no extra dependencies.  Clearly that is not true.  On 5
systems, some of which have a java install to support some tools which
use java, none were sufficient to run kjwaves.  So gwave or kjwaves,
either one, there are dependency requirements to deal with.  Forget the
license, if I want to run kjwaves I have to add dependencies.  I also
have to hope that the one java kjwaves works with also works on my
particular computer.  Am I an open source zealot for saying that?  No,
I'm just saying I have a computer (my alpha), it works for me, having to
to purchase a different machine so I can run one particular version of
java to load a tool just isn't that appealing especially when tools like
gwave do work "out of the box" quite easily on my system.

On some of the other machines I have access to which probably can run
the required version of java, I'm not at liberty to install stuff
outside of my home directory.  Maybe java will install easily as a
non-root user, maybe not.  But the real point is, you made a rather bold
claim about kjwaves which I think just isn't true in practice.  The
bottom line is kjwaves isn't as portable as some other tools because it
depends on something which is not as widely ported.