Re: gEDA-user: Heavy Symbols and such

On Wed, 207-12-05 at 17:31 -0800, Dave N6NZ wrote:

> I think it would simply annoy me.  I have adopted the convention of
> including the sheet number in the refdes, e.g.: C22 is a cap somewhere
> on sheet 2.  Perhaps if I could plug in a script that ran on component
> insert events, but no.... what should it do if I delete one?  Should it
> try to fill in the hole with the next one?

This is what I was remembering. I've not used it personally, so can't
attest to whether it works still...

>From http://www.geda.seul.org/wiki/geda:hse_howto:
"""
Hooks
-----
Hooks are a way to define functions that will be called during different
part of a programs execution. In gschem there are (currently) three
different hooks available:
* add-component-hook
* copy-component-hook
* move-component-hook

As their name indicate, they are called at different occasions. When
you add a component add-component-hook is called, etc.

To add a function to be called you simply use the Guile funtion add-hook!.
An example; to run the function auto-uref when you add a component you
simply add the following line, preferrably in ${HOME}/.gEDA/gschemrc:
(add-hook! add-component-hook auto-uref)
"""

So you can potentially hook in a script to do what you want on component
update. Its probably not possible to teach it what the sheet number is,
but how it chooses a new number (whether it fills gaps) should be
reasonably easy to code in the guile script.

> I get a vision of gschem having an animated paper clip pop up and say:
> "I see you are trying to rename a component instance... would you like
> me to randomly scramble all your refdes attributes?".....

I'm sure that bug would be easy enough to introduce... I could make you
a patch... I'm sure I had code which randomly scrambled _all_ attributes
at one point! ;)

As to the paper clip, I'll leave that job to a bigger sadist than I.

"You seem to have shorted GND and \_ENABLE. Would you like me to fix
that for you?"

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,