Re: gEDA-user: uEDA .. was .. Re: Heavy Symbols and such

This problem was solved in the last millennium, and the tools have been
written. It's called a relational database.

You can't do a CPU design project involving hundreds of engineers with a
schematic system that doesn't scale.  In the last century I worked on
several CPU's where the schematics, when printed out, would be as stack
of B-size sheets 12 feet high.  But I don't think I've ever actually
seen schematics printed out in full for any CPU design in the last ten
years...

One of the several refrigerated, walk-in, CPU's that I helped design was
the Amdahl 5995.  Amdahl's CAD system had a very nice way of dealing
with attributes.  All the attributes were in a separate data base from
the schematics.  The attribute database was kept in a relational
database -- Amdahl used Oracle on a mainframe.

In geda's terminology, imagine a database table with these columns:
refdes, attrfile, attrfile_revision, attrname, attrvalue.  You joined a
schematic to an attribute "file" of a particular "revision" based on
refdes, and *whoosh* you have a full design file.  It was very easy to
do various placement experiments by keeping two or three placements in
different attribute files, and you could easily try each one in the
autorouter and timing analyzer to see which one gave you the best gate
array.

In the geda world, I think this makes just as much sense.  The above 5
column table would work perfectly fine in mySQL or pick your favorite
database.  A tool that connected to an attribute database and updated a
.sch file accordingly would be a generalized way to attack a lot of the
problems being discussed in this thread.

I'm not advocating making a relational database part of the required
geda tool set -- part of the beauty of geda is that for piddly little 8
sheet projects like I'm doing now, it doesn't have a lot of heavyweight
baggage that needs to be learned and dealt with.  But I think using the
existing tools and computer science that the database world makes
available would go a long way to making gschem attribute management more
scalable.  Especially as we start talking about BOM driven attribute
updates, attributes derived from other attributes, bulk updates of
attributes, etc.

-dave