Re: gEDA-user: Parts Data deffinitions

I'm new to pcb,

as i've worked with it just on the past two months making a simple board (pic
+ L298 to drive a bipolar stepper).
But I can give you my impression and tought about the tools i've used, gschem
and pcb (gtk).
For both a lot of work as been done and a lot of work as to be done, but as
I've understood reading the mailing list that is a fact of people and energy
involved in developping so i've no comment to give as they will not help to
much.

The biggest problem i've found is about the library.

You start from gschem and a lot of symbols don't respect the new rules about
symbols. I think a symbol editor that is more efficient than gschem itself
would be really usefull.

gsch2pcb as i've read somewhere on the mailing list continue to export old
behaviour if you don't create the pcb file before.

The library of pcb is dispersive and with that geda categories that contain
multiple type of footprint it coul be time expensive to find the right
footprint.

I've created some components in newlib format by editing the text file, may be
it would be easyest to do it using pcb with an appropriated grid. Anyway i
think a good footprint editor would be very usefull.

It seems that every one have different opinion of what type of library to use,
and I understand that people already adducted :-) to a certain workflow or
that have adapted some script to fill their need does not feel the need to
change.

So I think that a database (with a format well defined and stable over time)
wich contain heavy symbol (name, symbol, spice model, footprint,
manufacturer, comment, ecc..) that is mantained updated could be very
usefull. From such a database you can extract all the type of library you
like, light one, for those that would like to edit manually attributes, heavy
one for those that have no special need. Just the spice model or symbol,
choose the right footprint if there are several choice for the same component
ecc..

And you can write new application or tool with a solid component base that
have no reason to be rewrited for every cad application if well defined. That
seems to be a good point as i've the impression that geda is anyway a bit
eterogeneous.

If someone write a library editor that work on the database you can make
change on every application library format without the need of rewriting the
library, you just need an export tool from the database the the new format.

I think the biggest problem would be to choose a database format suited to
most of the actual and future need.

Wich such a database every long date user have no need to change their
workflow, and every new user could have a good set of components that woork
flawlessly from gschem to ngspice, footprint ecc...
Or you can start from a bom editor to gschem ecc...

Sorry for my english.

Anselmo