gEDA-user: single-sided boards

How do I poceed to make a single sided board (copper only on wiring
side, no plated holes), but nevertheless use my footprint library which
is made for multiple layers (that defines copper plated-holes and pins
with copper pads on both sides)?

If I naively use my library and create a single-sided board, looking at
the files exported to gerber, I end up with a component side which has
all the copper pads, and with a long list in the plated-drill.cnc file,
which is not really what I want.

I am looking for a way - using my standard footprint library - to
produce gerber files which do not have plated holes, and which have no
copper on the component side. Can I control this in pcb - or is there an
(ugly) way to achieve this playing around with the gerber files?

Or is my intention a false desire for economy - should I better keep the
pads on the component side and the plated holes? (considering that a pcb
with solder sipping into the plated holes might represent a more
reliable result?)