Re: gEDA-user: OT: Latex

On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 13:51:31 -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:

> Lyx is pretty nice but those
> types of front-ends usually just get in the way.

You can do whatever latex wizardry you like and even plain tex in lyx.
These portions just won't be interpreted on the fly and render verbatim
on the screen. In addition, most latex commands are known to lyx. So you
can type "\mu" and get a nice character  on the screen. This is one of
the rare cases where you can get both: A visual intuitive GUI plus the
full power of machine code.

This is not just blue sky talk, but from experience. I learned latex the
hard way -- vi on a unix server to typeset the hand written notes of a
mathematics professor. Yet, for my thesis I switched to lyx. The online
graphical representation simply avoids a host of common errors. It makes
navigation in the document so much simpler.

Note, that lyx presents the document not quite like a word processor. It
may look the same, but there are crucial differences. It treats the text
more like a web browser. Line breaks are at the end of the window rather
than where they would appear in print. Headlines look like headlines, but
are not in the same font.

For non lyx editing of latex documents, I'd recommend kile. This is an
editor with sophisticated syntax features aimed in particular toward
latex.

---<(kimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak